March 21, 2018
Description: Litigation Assistants support attorneys working to improve conditions of confinement for people in prison, primarily by screening and responding to correspondence from people in prison and their families. This is an ideal position for an individual with zero to two years of post-college work experience who wants to gain experience in the areas of litigation or public interest law before attending graduate school. In addition to screening correspondence, the litigation assistant will help attorneys to interview clients and prepare for prison/jail monitoring visits. The job will also involve assisting attorneys with individual advocacy on behalf of people in prison regarding conditions issues. This is a full-time position with an expected duration of at least one year.
- Screens incoming correspondence from people in prison and their families
- Identifies opportunities for individual advocacy
- Enters data into a database
- Drafts outgoing correspondence and advocacy
Assist attorneys with a variety of responsibilities including:
- Document review in preparation for monitoring visits
- Interviewing clients
- Data entry
- BA or equivalent college degree
- Zero to two years of post-college work
- Excellent analytical, reading and writing skills
- Ability to organize and efficiently process significant amounts of correspondence
- High degree of attention to detail
- Experience with use of Salesforce or other comparable database programs
- Willingness to travel throughout California
- Demonstrated interest in social justice
Please visit www.prisonlaw.com for more information about our work.
How To Apply
Medical and dental coverage, 10 days (one additional vacation day for every year worked) paid vacation, 12 paid sick days, and 11 paid holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish preferred but not required.
Minimum Education Required: